Cold Front

Waterfowl hunting general conversation

Moderators: Gmann, Cajun Duckman

Psycho Trout

Cold Front

Post by Psycho Trout »

I hope this sucker pushes more birds down here. It seems this time last year we had way more birds on the coast. Hell I was having to beat em off with a stick. Not so this year. Kinda struggling, well I am struggling. Got me worried.
Mallardslayyer

Post by Mallardslayyer »

PT, they are all up here in DFW! Holy crap! I have never seen so many birds in one day in my whole life as I saw on Saturday.

But they were acting like late season ducks, and would not work into the Dekes. They were responding to the calls very well and it was easy as all get out to turn them and make them take a second look but they just would not get close. I thought it may be our spread or the blind but made an adjustment to them both and still same deal.

I have talked with three people from the fuge and heard the same issue happened with them. Same with my Brother in law. Weird stuff, can't figure it out.
Psycho Trout

Post by Psycho Trout »

Dayum! That is exactly what they were doing over our dekes. I actually could get the vbirds to work for several minutes, but would never commit to landing in the dekes. I figured it was the spinner so I pulled it out of the spread and the motor started to act so we left. Gonna try again this weekend.
BDBA

Post by BDBA »

Same here could get em to work never commit. :?
Mallardslayyer

Post by Mallardslayyer »

I don't claim to be an expert, I have only been duck hunting for 6 years now, but I have never seen the birds act like this so early in the season. My only guess is that maybe these are older, wiser birds hence the reason they are down here so early....I don't know, I was happy to get my limit but it was not an easy task. Didn't have one bird land in the dekes
Coastal Ducks

Post by Coastal Ducks »

On sunday we had birds commit early but after it got good light they would work and work but never do the do. I don't know what was up with that.
DUKFVR

Post by DUKFVR »

Same here on Sat. Ducks would be locked up. About 60 yrds or so flare off . At least I know it just wasn't my set-up.
panther

Post by panther »

I had a couple of Cans sit down in the spread on saturday morning but other than that everything that we shot was looking. They would circle and but never fully comit.

I got a pair of Gadwalls to commit on sunday but again other than that they were all just flyin by. I also had no luck turning any flights that were not intent on being in my area.
swinginD
User

Post by swinginD »

i experienced the exact opposite...the ducks would lock up on the dekes but had no interest in responding to calling....they would flare and those dam grey ducks would circle forever...typical gadwall.
Heard in my blind:
"I'll have a mocha frapa chino latte"
Runnin' 87

Post by Runnin' 87 »

We worked some ducks but it didn't seem that they wanted to "be" anywhere. There was no pattern to them at all. They were just flying around looking and they might come or they might not.
Bitch Please !!!
txdukklr

Post by txdukklr »

interesting same for me.

Saturday ton's of birds, we shot a limit but none sat down. Everything we shot was on a second or third pass.
Do'Nob

Post by Do'Nob »

Sounds like what I've been seeing on the prarie. My theory is we are all seeing birds that are fairly new to the area and they are still kind of disoriented, so to speak. Saw the same thing during teal season this year, birds didnt' work well the first couple of days of the season, later on, we got the teal tornado workin. But they at least are turning to the call this year instead of flaring back towards arkansas, unlike last year.
TexasGeese
User

Post by TexasGeese »

Saturday on the coast all the birds we had touched down.
Texas Bill

Post by Texas Bill »

Beats the shit out of me. I'm just happy to finally get to hunt ducks!
Texas Bill

President - North Dallas Chapter
Clay Target Preservation Society
auto

Post by auto »

unfortunately this sounds all to familar, same thing happened to us. maybe this weekend.
Did I tell you the customer is always wrong?
Mallardslayyer

Post by Mallardslayyer »

Maybe tomorrow morning..... :lol:
redfish76
User

Post by redfish76 »

Glad to hear that that others are having similar experiences (not really, just glad that its not something we were doing wrong). We took more pass shots than I would have liked on opening weekend. Maybe, the next flock to come down will be dumber! :wink:
BDBA

Post by BDBA »

How many people have mojo ducks? Could it be everyone that this is happening to had one out. We had 2 out. Just a thought.
Mallardslayyer

Post by Mallardslayyer »

I was not using a mojo.
Coastal Ducks

Post by Coastal Ducks »

We had Mojo out early and they decoyed great then later when they quit decoying and were just circling I first turned it off then pulled it and the results were the same.