Refinishing your shotgun with bedliner spray

A place to post tips, tricks, better way to do things...

Moderators: Gmann, Coastal Ducks, 20gabismuth

Coastal Ducks

Refinishing your shotgun with bedliner spray

Post by Coastal Ducks »

I'm sure most of ya'll saw this already on the Fuge but I like it so much I thought it needs to be added here.

Here is how you do it.

Disassemble your gun. You will need to clean all the rust and crud off of it. You can use sandpaper, steel wool or scotch brite pads. Scrub it down good. Clean all the crud off. I washed mine with hot soapy water then a hot rinse and dried it with a hair dryer. Then I degreased it well with copious amounts of acetone on an old cotton towel. Once degreased I masked off the areas I didn't want painted with masking tape and filled up the action with paper towels to keep from getting spray in there. I installed an extended choke tube and mased it off with tape all the way just up to the muzzle. The extended tube will give you something to hold onto as you paint it. I rigged up some wire hangers prior to painting and had them hanging and ready to roll when I started to paint. As far as applying the bedliner I just followed the instructions on the Duplicolor Bedliner can. I shook it up and sprayed the gun down in long sweeping passes. it went on really smoothly and it's thick nature stops it from running. I gave it a few minutes and went over it all again. The first coat was pretty smooth and the second coat was more textured. I let it dry over night and reassembled it. It looks really good and three days later the finish is rock hard. I think this is a winner. I think I'll even do my Beretta Pintail barrel like this.

Here are some pictures...

Skack
Site Admin

Post by Skack »

Now wait a minute....Whatever happend to the "My gun is dipped in mud, duck blood and rust....that's all I'll ever need" you were talking about when I posted pics of my gun after dipping? :lol: :wink:

You aren turnin' sissy on us are you CD?

Nice post by the way....glad to here it worked out for you....
Hook 'em Horns.......:headbanger:
Lone Star Dux

Post by Lone Star Dux »

The gun looks really good CD! Did you use a metal primer first or just spray the Dupli-Color directly on the reciever and barrel?
The Dux - Professional Clown Puncher
Aggie H20 Fowler

Post by Aggie H20 Fowler »

That gun looks great! My 870 has seen better days. Had alot of rust from a mouse pissing on it when I lived in Nebraska, but that is another story :(
Figure I'll try it here shortly if I can find the time to stay at home once
Gig'em Class of 1996 200?
Blind Fury

Post by Blind Fury »

Oh yeah, I was supposed to post that up over here, eh CD?. Oops. Thanks for puttin that up. Mine seems to be holding up pretty well.
mudderducker

Post by mudderducker »

looks pretty good!

does it hold up well? as in better than getting it dipped? I have heard the camo comes off
redfish76
User

Post by redfish76 »

My gun has chipped. Particularly around the edges, lke the rib vent, but in at least one spot on the barrel. My solution the first time was to sand down the chipped areas a little and respray so that it was a little thicker. But then it chipped some more. Any thoughts?
Coastal Ducks

Post by Coastal Ducks »

Mine has chipped on the sharp edges, too. My solution will be to wire wheel the whole thing down this summer and redo it. Then I'll hunt it a year and redo it again. At $7 a coat I can afford to re-apply yearly.
Brad
Site Admin

Post by Brad »

I use my gun whenever kindness fails.

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Texas A&M University
Class of 2000

Shotshell Information Page