Tying windsocks with Texas rags.

A place to post tips, tricks, better way to do things...

Moderators: Gmann, Coastal Ducks, 20gabismuth

Olgringo

Post by Olgringo »

I kinda had a hard time following, CD but I think my way might be a little faster.

I fold the rag, (do everything "right side out"). Then grab about 4" of the front corner for the head. Next I tie the "head" to the stick with a slip knot. Then I wire tie it. (next batch will be hog ringed). Then I tie the bottom together outside the stake (stake is now "captured"). Call this knot the "feet". I again use a slip knot and I gather in 2-3 inches.
NOTE: The amount of material used for the "head" and the "feet" determines the size of the finished windsock. You don't want them real big or the tails will drag in the mud, they're more apt to tear etc. and they're about the size of turkeys.
NOW I flip the thing over and put the head end of the stake between my feet, or actually under my Lt. instep. Grab the tail with my lt hand and the two bottom edges roll inwards, and close up, giving the doubled seam you mentioned. This part might take you a few tries to get down but it works every time when you get the angle and pressure right. Folds the seam perfectly and bam bam bam bam with the stapler you're done.

Staple close to the stake about every 2 inches and leave a fist sized hole at the tail. Tie the tail with a captured slip knot. Keeps them from fraying off so fast.

Pete and I paid for our lease at Bobbies for two years tying rag windsocks. We could do about 45 per hour at our best.

THP sticks are about as good as your gonna get. I have some I painted that have lasted for 7 seasons (not many I grant you). Painting will double or triple the life. He now has fiberglass stakes that will be good, I think. Bamboo is too big a diameter. If you get 200 in a sling with THP sticks you will get 100 with bamboo, I think. Other than that I like it.

On the tie wraps. If you don't staple the head or tape above the rag you must break about every fifth tye wrap or you will be pulling the head off the windsock picking up.
"These divers will HUMBLE a man" P Robertson