Scouting question

Waterfowl hunting general conversation

Moderators: Gmann, Cajun Duckman

Jhunter

Scouting question

Post by Jhunter »

Does it really matter what time of day you scout for birds. I have some free time on tues and thurs, but only during the middle of the day. If ducks fly into a hole in the morning. will they generally stay all day(if undisturbed), fly to roost and return in the morning or will they just feed and roost all in the same area.
I past by a stock tank along 114 today(noon) and it is covered up in ducks and was wondering if these ducks will basically live there until they move south.
Jeff
AggieMoose

Post by AggieMoose »

It is typically better to scout an area at the time that you think you will be hunting it. early morning or late evening. I've got ponds that will have ducks on em at the end of the day but if you sit there in the morning you MIGHT see a bird. Any scouting is better than no scouting though.
Skack
Site Admin

Post by Skack »

It is my experience that if you jumps ducks anytime during the day there is some reason they want to be there. If you jump them in midafternoon, it is very likely they may have been there in the morning, left, and came back....

If you jump a good number of birds, look for signs of why they want to be there....if you find food and cover from the wind you should be in good shape......at least in my experience.
Hook 'em Horns.......:headbanger:
swinginD
User

Post by swinginD »

depends on what your hunting? roost ponds, scout in the morning and evening (but dont hunt em ;) )..rest areas, scout late morning, afternoon. scouting skacks place...dont go there till the krispy kreme sign goes off :mfinger:
Heard in my blind:
"I'll have a mocha frapa chino latte"
Lawnmower Man

Post by Lawnmower Man »

swinginD wrote:scouting skacks place...dont go there till the krispy kreme sign goes off :mfinger:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Skack
Site Admin

Post by Skack »

swinginD wrote:depends on what your hunting? roost ponds, scout in the morning and evening (but dont hunt em ;) )..rest areas, scout late morning, afternoon. scouting skacks place...dont go there till the krispy kreme sign goes off :mfinger:
:D

Interesting swing......why on earth would you have information on scouting when you don't hunt?? Image

JHunter he does have a book called Swing's 101 Tips To Internet Scouting".....includes ways to customize a person's keyboard and how to make their CD burner hold a large Mocha Cafe Late'..... In the back cover are some Beretta decals made for the sides of the monitor and mouse. Image
Hook 'em Horns.......:headbanger:
Jhunter

Post by Jhunter »

Ok girls, quit your scratchin and hair pullin. :D

Most of the time my scouting will be done before noon so if I find any birds I should be OK.
thanks guys
Jeff
FLUCP

Post by FLUCP »

I'am with skack if birds are there they have a reason usually food.
Gumpy

Post by Gumpy »

If that place on 114 is the one I'm thinking of they will stay there all winter.
auto

Post by auto »

swing hunts??????? who would of known :shock: :D :lol:
Did I tell you the customer is always wrong?
TexasGeese
User

Post by TexasGeese »

The majority of your scouting should be on the internet.