Hevishot is some bad stuff

Boats, ATVs, decoys, calls, etc.
skinnyme

Hevishot is some bad stuff

Post by skinnyme »

My last hunt I had the opportunity to really shoot hevi shot at some ducks. Not being someone who gets caught up in the latest and greatest fades I didn't really expect to much of an improvement. Man was I wrong. I was shooting 2 3/4 #4's thru a LM Briley choke and was flat cruching some birds. I think almost every bird I shoot was dead before it hit the water. It could have been that I shooting really good on this hunt, but still I have to admit hevishot will be getting another chance to show me its badness again very soon. If only it was a little less expensive.....
BadDuck

Post by BadDuck »

I didnt think it was all that. I did think it was some $$$$$$$$$$ I have a buddy that has his first shot as HS and thed other DL. It keeps the cost down.
Cajun Duckman

Post by Cajun Duckman »

You think HS is bad ass you should try 3" #6's. Oh man talk about a crush...

Lawnmower Man literally blew the head off a duck at 15 yards with the stuff. I mean the head exploded in the air and no remnants at all left. Completely blown away. We have had some 20 yard shots that have absolutely maimed the ducks also. 3" #6 at 1450fps is some serious shit.
Lone Star Dux

Post by Lone Star Dux »

Cajun Duckman wrote:3" #6 at 1450fps is some serious shit.
Well then. Looks like I'll be purchasing some HS very soon. I like the idea that you can kill a duck and breast it out at the same time! :lol:
redfish76
User

Post by redfish76 »

Hate to think what would happen if two guys got one at once! :mrgreen:
Cajun Duckman

Post by Cajun Duckman »

Sorry. That was 3" #6 STEEL ESTATES guys. From my post it looks like I was talking about HS. My bad. We been killing the shit out of ducks this year with 3" #6 steel.

199 ducks so far and only 8 sailers.
txdukklr

Post by txdukklr »

I hit a whistler at about 10 yards this Saturday 3" #6 1.5 oz load

shredded the poor bastard. HS is the shit.
Acuna

Post by Acuna »

Cajun Duckman wrote:Sorry. That was 3" #6 STEEL ESTATES guys. From my post it looks like I was talking about HS. My bad. We been killing the shit out of ducks this year with 3" #6 steel.

199 ducks so far and only 8 sailers.
I have been shooting sixes too and that stuff flat kills the ducks! And more pellets too!
How am I doing today? I would definitely have to say "Quacktacular!"
20gabismuth

Post by 20gabismuth »

Guys, all BSing aside, I shoot 3 in. steel 3's (Estate) out of my SBE with a with a LM choke. Wednesday morning, I took out the trusty 20ga with Bismuth 3 in. 4's. I killed 6 ducks and 5 of them were graveyard dead when they hit the water. I winged one teal that luckily didn't sail on me. I think I'm going to try some 20ga HS 6's and see what the results are. I love my 20 gauges!!! :D
Lone Star Dux

Post by Lone Star Dux »

I took Cajun Duckman's advice and bought some Estate steel 3" #4 (no #6 available) and used it on Saturday. I'm impressed! My six bird limit was filled no problem and all six were stone dead before hitting the water. I will definitely be buying some more in the coming weeks. I'd love to try the HeviShot but the price kinda hurts. :?
Ohio Wildfowler

Post by Ohio Wildfowler »

I use #5 or#6 steel in a 2 3/4" 7/8 oz load at 1700 fps for teal but don't think I want to try to take mallards past 25yds or maybe a couple more. The handloads also work well on small divers from a layout boat as most shooting is 30yds or less. I shoot 1oz of steel #3's at 1650 for mallards out to 45 or so yards. Now Hevi shot is just plain mean stuff. I have shot mallards at 30 yards with 1 1/8oz of #6 or #5 in 2 3/4" loads at 1550 and there is nothing left of the duck but skin and feathers. I now use these loads as the 3rd shot and it will bring down any sailors leaving the decoy spread with ease. 8)

Tim
Take a kid hunting today and pass the tradition on to tomorrow.
CDE

Post by CDE »

I switched to hevi-shot this year also. Usually load up first two shots with hevi, then steel for the third. Great stuff, but $$$$
ARamos8

Test Post for Drundel - SLB

Post by ARamos8 »

This is a test brad. No ACL's or firewall rules in place at the hub router.

Tony
ARamos8

Test post for Drundel - SLB

Post by ARamos8 »

Looks like no issues again bro...

Tony