Creedmore

One of my toys

Post by Creedmore »

My TC Contender in .309JDJ and Mr. 8pt from last season. :D

Gig 'Em !
'93
Buford

Post by Buford »

Dang, that's quite the toy you've got there. At what distance did you shoot the deer?
Bears aren't dangerous. They're just misunderstood. See, they're very loving crea* AAAHHHHH, MY HEAD! GET IT OFF, GET IT OFF!!!!!
Creedmore

Post by Creedmore »

Lasered at 138 yards from my window. My intent was to bag a trophy dumbass spike that I had watched all week. (Took my rifle and contender to the stand.) He busts out of the brush trying to sniff two does at the feeder. No time to grab the rifle in the corner, grab the TC, hammer, scope, bang. Over in 15 seconds. Fell like he was hit by a freight train. .309JDJ = .444 Marlin necked down to .308, and 14 inches of the most power I've ever had in my hands. :lol:
Gig 'Em !
'93
Runnin' 87

Post by Runnin' 87 »

Schweeet :D

I due a new barrle. Been wondering which one to get.
Bitch Please !!!
Creedmore

Post by Creedmore »

Runnin'87 you a contender nut, too? I shot IHMSA for a few years and been hooked since. My .309JDJ will stand up on the bench to most rifles. Less than MOA out to 200yards.
Gig 'Em !
'93
TexasGeese
User

Post by TexasGeese »

nice!
Runnin' 87

Post by Runnin' 87 »

Woops just got back.

Not a nut...yet. I have a .22 Hornet and a .300 Whisper. After I looked at you post I ended up going to the JDJ web sight. Damn they got some cool chit.

I don't know whether I want to go with something like the 309 or something in the .44 ish caliber range. Decisions, decisions.

As much as I like shooting the whisper it dosn't carry enough velocity to get good bullet performance on deer sized game.
Bitch Please !!!
Runnin' 87

Post by Runnin' 87 »

I ended up getting the pistol when I was doing some climber stand hunting in some thickety areas. It is a whole lot easier to handle the pistol than a rifle in those areas. That .309 looks like it might be the trick.
Bitch Please !!!
Creedmore

Post by Creedmore »

Runnin' 87 wrote: It is a whole lot easier to handle the pistol than a rifle in those areas.
Sure is. I carry an iron-sighted 7TCU as my brush gun when we "team rattle" - one guy in the brush rattling and one in the stand watching the big picture.

I sure like my .309, great shooter. SSK also makes the 7mmJDJ using the slightly more ballistic 7mm bullet - but I always liked the .308 bullet and I can get 2300+fps with my .309

Always wondered about the Whisper. Should be an excellent tactical round. A gunsmith in N.Dal showed me a class 3 suppressor he had done for an ex-trooper - on a 14" .30 Herret contender. Scary quiet. :)
Gig 'Em !
'93
Runnin' 87

Post by Runnin' 87 »

Shot a .35 Heritt I think years ago. Maybe it was .38. I need to check back on it. SCHWEET.

The whisper is cool. It feels like a sharp .357 in the hand. Mine is on a 10" barrle. That may have something to to do with lower velocity. But, there isn't a lot of cartidge to being with. I don't think 14" would do dramtically better.

The 309 is looking cool.

Do you have to hand load it?

I looked on the Cor-Bon sight and didn't see any ammo.

Oh, I was confused the other day. I was on the SSK page.
Bitch Please !!!
Brad
Site Admin

Post by Brad »

Nice! I almost got into wildcat loads in college, just soo many. .300 Phoenix is one I was looking at. Never heard of yours, post some specs.

I bought a 9.5 SRH .454 to hunt pigs and deer with. Haven't shot it in two years. :cry:
I use my gun whenever kindness fails.

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Texas A&M University
Class of 2000

Shotshell Information Page
Creedmore

Post by Creedmore »

The .309JDJ is handload only, although I think you can order brass from SSK. I fireformed all of mine. Starts with a .444 Marlin case, necked down using a .308Win die to make the fire-form loads. After those are fired the case is blown out to the proper dimensions and you start using he .309JDJ resize die. It's a little bit of work, but well worth it.
Gig 'Em !
'93
Brad
Site Admin

Post by Brad »

I meant like what kinda FPS you are getting, what grain slug (150ish I guess), your groupings, etc.

Bet is a hot load.
Creedmore

Post by Creedmore »

Pretty good ballistics even with fire forming loads. I started with 41 grains of RL-15 and a cheapo remington 165gr bullet
and had fire form groups of 1.75".

Once I had all my brass formed, I worked up a hunting load: 53.3gr IMR-4350, Fed primer and Nosler 150gr Ballistic Tips. I'm getting 2340fps and
100 yard groups at around 0.9".

It's a hot load, but the heavy barrel and scope add enough weight that it's not too much of a handful. :) I've shot a Super Redhawk in .44mag that was alot more to handle.
Gig 'Em !
'93
Runnin' 87

Post by Runnin' 87 »

This is the advertisment from the Cor-Bon web sight.

300 Whisper This unique and versatie cartridge can be used as low recoil pistol load or as an urban defense rifle. The 125gr JHP self-defense or varmint load is moving out at 2100fps, the 150gr JSP at 2000fps is an effective deer hunting load. For special suppressed tactical operations, the 220gr load is just the ticket.
Attachments
300whisper.jpg
Bitch Please !!!